Most pastors are genuinely committed to serving the Church of Jesus Christ because they love Him and are being true to their calling! They consider it a high honor and privilege. They are there, not because they are incapable of doing something else, but because they actually see it as a calling.
The Scriptures remind us that we are to honor our pastors, showing gratitude and respect for what they do. I Thessalonians 5:12-13 makes that clear. How can we, on a practical level, bless them? Here are a few suggestions. I would love to hear any ideas you may have!
- See him as a gift from God, with a God ordained job to do. Ephesians 4:11-12
- Allow him to be the coach and, as team members, fill our “positions” well! Eph. 4:13-16
- Listen to the Word of God he teaches and follow his example. Hebrews 13:7
- Submit to his Godly leadership, understanding why. Hebrews 13:17
- Allow him the opportunity to manage his household. I Timothy 3:4-5
- Pray fervently and consistently for him. Colossians 4:2-3
- Allow him to fail forward, keeping in mind that no one bats 1000%! Galatians 2:11-14
- Make sure he takes time for his own personal growth and renewal. Luke 5:16
There are more practical things we can do…
- Offer to watch his children so that he can have a night out with his wife. (Gift cards are always appreciated!)
- Make it possible for him to attend conferences, seminars, or further his education.
- Put together a prayer group that prays regularly for him and his family. Pray with him before services.
- Honor his wife in practical ways! She is in a very unique position!
Again, I’m sure you have many more ideas! Share them!!!